As dentists’ we think teeth are fascinating, but we know our patients don’t always share our love for pearly whites. We think we can change your mind though with these fun facts about teeth courtesy of the American Dental Association.
- Show us your tooth print! Your teeth can tell a lot about you including how old you are, what you eat and drink, your overall health and even where on Earth you are from. This is why teeth are used so often in criminal investigations. They provide a great insight into someone’s past.
- They’re all different. Yep, that’s right. No two teeth are exactly the same size. Not in your mouth, not in your friend’s mouth. Each tooth has it’s own unique profile.
- We produce a LOT of spit – like two swimming pools worth of it over a lifetime! Good news is that’s a good thing as saliva is our body’s way of rinsing away bacteria and sugars from foods we consume.
- Picking out your toothbrush was a lot different for our ancestors as they chewed on twigs to create frayed ends that they then used to brush their teeth! Manual toothbrushes like we use today didn’t appear until the 1930s. Electric toothbrushes came on the scene in the early 1950s.
- Teeth are tough. Tooth enamel is the hardest substance in your body. However it’s also one of the only things that doesn’t repair itself which is why taking care of your teeth regularly is so important.