How often do you brush your teeth without thinking about it? Probably most of the time. It’s so easy to fall into a routine, especially when it comes to caring for our smiles. But how do you know if your routine is actually working? You’ve got to take a step back and re-evaluate!
With the new year, make it a resolution to be more conscious of your dental hygiene habits. Below, we’ve put together 5 dental habits sure to keep your smile healthy!
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day, for two minutes each time. Brushing your teeth not only prevents tooth decay and disease, it also helps keep your smile fresh and white!
- Floss your teeth at least once a day. Flossing is an often-overlooked aspect of dental hygiene, but it’s just as important as brushing your teeth! If you’re not used to flossing, try picking a couple days a week to floss and gradually work your way up to flossing once a day. This can help alleviate some of the bleeding that may occur if you haven’t flossed in a long time.
- Use correct brushing technique. You may brush your teeth for an adequate amount of time, but if you aren’t using the right technique, you could be missing something! One common mistake is not brushing up to your gumline. This may cause discomfort at first, but it’s important to stimulate your gums and brush in small circular strokes to more easily reach tough areas.
- Drink water and eat right. Drinking enough water can help rinse out bacteria from your mouth, stimulate saliva and protect your teeth from decay. Drinking coffee, soda or sugary drinks can cause decay or stains. Water is the best drink for keeping your teeth pretty and healthy. It’s also important to avoid sugary foods as they can lead to cavities.
- Finally, make sure to visit the dentist for regular cleanings! It is recommended that you visit the dentist once every six months or twice a year.
Schedule your appointment by calling (573) 243-5200 or stopping by our office at 3100 E Jackson Blvd., Jackson, Mo.