If you are one of the millions of Americans who suffer from dry mouth, you know that it can be both uncomfortable and frustrating. A symptom of other medical conditions, dry mouth could lead to tooth decay and gum disease if left untreated. And while it is inconvenient any time of the day, for many sufferers nighttime is the worst. If you find this to be true, here are a few things you can do to help make it better.
- Stay hydrated by drinking water throughout the day – not just at night
- Avoid spicy food and limit your alcohol and caffeine intake throughout the day.
- Use toothpaste and mouth rinse designed for dry mouth.
- Chew sugar-free gum or suck on sugar-free candies during the day to increase saliva
- Address snoring or mouth breathing issues with your dentist or doctor
- Practice good oral hygiene by brushing and flossing two times per day for two minutes each time
- Keep ice chips and water beside your bed
- Use a humidifier
Don’t let dry mouth causing lasting issues for your mouth. Give Jackson Dental a call today at 573-243-5200 to see how we can help you.