The new year is a time to start fresh, set goals and ditch bad habits. For many, this includes setting new year’s resolutions, and one of the most popular new year’s resolutions is to live healthier.
Living healthier usually means exercising more, eating cleaner, getting more sleep and finding ways to decrease stress. However, for a truly healthy life, good oral hygiene cannot be ignored. Multiple studies, including research from the Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion (ODPHP), have identified oral health as one of the leading factors affecting overall health. Links have been found between poor oral hygiene and diabetes, Alzheimer’s, and other life-altering health issues.
This New Year, boost your oral and overall health by implementing these easy and helpful dental habits.
- Don’t just brush your teeth twice a day. Be sure to floss twice a day, as well. Regular flossing can help decrease your chances of developing gum disease and tooth decay.
- Consider going electric. Electric toothbrushes help distribute equal pressure when brushing and reach all those nooks and crannies. Bonus: electric toothbrushes can help fight bleeding gums and gingivitis.
- Don’t brush too aggressively. Brushing hard may seem like a good way to thoroughly clean those pearly whites, but it’s also a good way to break down the protective enamel on your teeth. Clues you are brushing too hard may include receding gums or fraying toothbrushes.
- Switch to water. Soda, coffee and fruit juices may taste good, but they’re not good for the health of your teeth. Cutting back on sugary drinks and increasing your water intake is an easy way to decrease the chances of getting cavities.
- Be sure to visit the dentist AT LEAST once a year. Regular visits to the dentist can help prevent and catch oral health issues such as gum disease, cavities, tooth decay and oral cancer.
Schedule a visit with Jackson Dental today to get your oral health on the right track for 2022. Call 573-243-5200 or stop by our office to book your appointment.